Thursday, March 20, 2008

WKRP Episode: "Baseball"

By requests, the first episode produced for the second season (third in broadcast order), the softball game between WKRP and WPIG. Written and directed by Hugh Wilson. This is one of the few episodes to use an original musical score, by Tom Wells, who composed the main title theme (and also did the theme music for Buffalo Bill).

The episode features the second and last appearance (on the original series anyway) of writer Bill Dial as the station engineer, Bucky. Also, Ross Bickell, who plays the manager of WPIG, was married to Loni Anderson at the time. Since she was having an affair with her co-star Gary Sandy, it must have made for an awkward shoot.

Update: It's come to my attention in comments that the version I edited together may be missing one gag that was cut in syndication. I can't fix it now, but I'll check my copies of the episode and try to re-upload the corrected version, but I'll leave the episode up anyway until then. Like I've said often, creating "complete" versions of WKRP episodes can be hard to do. Turns out the gag is not in the original CBS version; I don't know if it ever existed or if CBS cut it at some point. Anyway the version below is, as far as I know, complete.

Update: I found the missing shot and put it back in. Apparently CBS cut it from some repeats because of the drug reference.

Cold Opening and Act 1:



Act 2:






5 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for posting this, I love this episode. Keep 'em coming.

Cheers!!!

Chris said...

After watching it, realized they edited the scene where Johnny, playing first base, picks up some chalk and smells it before wiping his hand on his shorts (it just cuts to him wiping his hand) in a subtle Johnny-does-drugs reference. Gotta love that ending though.

Cheers!!!

Jaime J. Weinman said...

After watching it, realized they edited the scene where Johnny, playing first base, picks up some chalk and smells it before wiping his hand on his shorts (it just cuts to him wiping his hand) in a subtle Johnny-does-drugs reference.

Yipe -- I think I may have accidentally left that bit out (I edited this together from a syndicated version and a CBS broadcast). If it's in the CBS version I can re-upload the correct version but I won't be able to do it for a few days.

Jaime J. Weinman said...

I checked my CBS broadcast copy and the gag of Johnny smelling the chalk is not in there -- just the bit with him wiping his hand.

Maybe CBS cut it out in summer reruns or something, but if it was there, I don't know where to find it.

Chris said...

I'm pretty sure the gag was in the original showing, but it may be my 38 year old brain playing tricks on me. No complaints though, excellent episode regardless. thanks for all the WKRP posts.

Cheers!!!