Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Oh, Dear, MY PET MONSTER Is Back

The news that a Canadian company is putting out the My Pet Monster cartoon series on DVD doesn't mean much to most people -- another bad '80s cartoon based on a forgotten toy -- but it dredges up somewhat painful memories for me, because this was one of those cartoons I saw all the time even though a) I didn't like it much and b) There were hardly any episodes.

Global seemed to show it all the time in Canada on the weekends, and in time slots where there were no other cartoons for kids to watch, long after ABC had canceled it. I guess because it was produced by Nelvana, it counted as CanCon. So I became familiar with Monster's garbage-eating, and the scary evil giant monster, Beastur, who was constantly trying to capture Monster and bring him back to his own dimension. Also there was this Dr. Bellows-type guy who always suspected that something was going on with the three kids who knew about the Monster, but could never... oh, to hell with it, I can't even talk about it without a certain level of pain. And when you hear the theme song, you'll know why.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe there's hope yet for that complete "Mighty Max" release I've been waiting for...

Will said...

That was a lot worse than the cannibal cartoon that you posted a while back. Yeesh.

Anonymous said...

It depresses me how many deserving shows don't get releases while something like THIS comes out.

Just when I thought I had successfully blocked the memory of the theme song too...time for some brain damage.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping you'd post something about the "My Pet Monster" live action movie starring the younger brother from The Edison Twins. They should stick that on with this as a special feature.

Anonymous said...

Charles Solomon said back in 1987 that the character resembled the Tazmanian evil (or somehting).
-SC