Friday, October 31, 2008

"An Occasional Man" In Its Original Form

I wrote a post a couple of months back about my love for the song "An Occasional Man." Since then, I've found the movie it comes from (The Girl Rush) and the original performance of the song, as sung by Gloria DeHaven. While DeHaven had an excellent voice and could have made a knockout version of this song under better circumstances, the orchestrations aren't too good, and before you get to the song proper, you have to sit through some rather lame dancing plus a scene of Marion Lorne (always good) getting stuck in a giant bottle (wha'?). But I always like seeing the original version of a favorite song, even if it's been done better elsewhere.

The song begins at about the 1:15 mark in the video..



4 comments:

Thad said...

I want to be that occasional man.

Michael Jones said...

Great tune and great singer. What I want to know is if "Aunt Clara" ever got out of the giant bowling pin? (I'm pretty sure it was her.)

Anonymous said...

Try the definitive version by Sarah Vaughan from her album "In The Land of Hi-Fi" from 1956.

Anonymous said...

Try listing to the definitive version by Sarah Vaughan on her "In the Land of Hi-Fi" album/CD from 1956.