Friday, July 11, 2008

WKRP Episode: "Les's Groupie"

Another episode from the second season -- only one more to go and then I'll have posted every episode from season two. In this episode, Les goes on a date with a fan, and within a week, she's taken over his entire life. But there is one thing, and only one, that can get Les angry enough to break up with her. I don't know anything about the person who plays the groupie, Kristina Callahan; she's plausible enough as someone who would be attracted to Les, but she sort of feels like the sort of person who winds up in a guest part when the producers can't get somebody else.

Music: "Keep the Music Simple" by Dr. John; "Chances Are" by Johnny Mathis (apparently the only record Les owns).

P.S.: You'll notice that some scenes in this version have the E! network logo on them. That's because in the mid-'90s, the E! network used versions of WKRP that had cuts in different places from the syndicated version (and thus if you put the E! version together with the syndication version that the Comedy Network was sent for this episode, you get the complete episode).

If anybody out there taped WKRP episodes off E!, please write to me at weinmanj@gmail.com and let me know what you have, because you may have some scenes I'm still looking to trade for.





=

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there
I stumbled across your blog looking for WKRP episodes, and I have really been having a good time. Question; have you heard any feedback about the new complete series WKRP dvd collection? The ads I've seen on tvdvdstore.net and powerdvdstore.com etc describe the set as "the complete television series includes all original music" but I haven't been able to find any actual customer feedback on the net. Would love to know if you have any info before I waste my $$$. I will check back in this comments section to see if you have an answer. In any case, thanks for the vids.
Janet, Alberta Canada

Jaime J. Weinman said...

I believe those sets are all of the syndication package circulated by Victory Television in the late '80s and early '90s. They include most of the music, but they are cut for time (from 24-25 minutes to 22 minutes).

Anonymous said...

Anon,

Mr. Weinman is correct. (Got mine on sell.com.) The music is there and the video and audio are very good, but the running times suck. Everything between 21 and 22 minutes.

Now if we could only trade for the legendary Weinman set! :-)

Anonymous said...

Jaime and Swooning,
Thanks for the tip, guys. I think I'm going to buy them even if they are cut a bit cause I love this show so much. I so wanted to be Bailey!
Some of the ads say it's a 12 disc set, others say 18. Swooning, how many discs in your's?

Thanks again, Janet

Anonymous said...

Heads up: somebody has posted a slew of WKRP eps in the "alt.binaries.multimedia.vintage-tv" newsgroup. They also posted the "Entertainment Tonight" special.