Friday, April 18, 2008

WKRP Episode: "An Explosive Affair"

I won't be able to post much in the next few days, so here's a double-length episode with way too much music to ever be released on DVD: the season 4 opener, "An Explosive Affair." The main story is about the station receiving a bomb threat; the B story (about Mr. Carlson and his ex-receptionist) is a little undercooked, but Howard Hesseman's "phone cops" freak-out in part 2 is one of the most famous scenes from the show.

Music includes "Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley, "Bad Mamma Jamma" by Carl Carlton, "Celebration" by Kool & the Gang, "Talk to Ya Later" by the Tubes, songs by Bob Marley and The Pointers, and most memorably, "Urgent" by Foreigner. (Can you imagine the end of Part 1 without that song? Wouldn't work at all.)

Part 1:







Part 2





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a little of subject but does anyone know where to see or buy some episodes of the new wkrp? I know it's not as good but I just want to see it again anyway.

Anonymous said...

A great episode of WKRP! One of the best! I like it because some of the original music is preserved such as the songs you had mentioned. Well, the last time I watched it on TNN in 2001 it was. Also, the reference to The John Davidson Show is something because it was a cult favorite and it must have been one of the rare cases it was mentioned.

moonodin said...

One of the greats. I started watching WKRP again( I use to watch when it was on originally) on Utube when I found your blogger. Thanks. I stumbled across your blogger when I was looking for an explanation why my new season one, which I asked for, for Christmas, was missing music and scenes from all the episodes. Little did I know that Fox had struck again. Way to go Fox. Next time don't do us any more favors. Needless to say I won't be getting any other seasons, but will continue to watch here. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why someone couldn't go down to the transmitter and tell them to leave! Andy said, "I was trying to call you guys all afternoon". If he had all afternoon, why didn't he drive out there, or get someone to drive out there, and tell them to leave??

Just wondering.

I love this show, though, and really appreciate all your postings! It's great to be able to watch it, really reminds me of watching it when I was a kid, so thanks!

Anonymous said...

One other song in part one: Greg Kihn Band - Can't stop hurting myself.