Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I Could Never Be a Hit

As a gigantic Clueless fan I was hoping that Amy Heckerling's I Could Never Be Your Woman, with a number of Clueless folk including Paul Rudd, would turn out to be closer to Clueless than Loser on the Heckerling rom-com scale. I waited and waited for it to come out and finally it went direct to DVD -- never a good sign. But Nathan Rabin's review suggests that it may at least be better than Loser, if certainly no Clueless or Fast Times. I'll have to check it out.

The thing that surprised me in looking over Heckerling's filmography is that except for Loser and the Look Who's Talking sequel, she hasn't really directed any movies I consider genuinely bad. (I didn't say European Vacation was great, just that it wasn't bad.) Even the first season of the Clueless TV series, which she produced and sometimes directed, was pretty good. I've always thought of her as a director who has had a very uneven career, but although she certainly hasn't always hit the heights of Fast Times and Clueless, it seems more like she just hasn't gotten many movies made. Rabin's review makes it sound like I Could Never Be Your Woman is in part a way of taking out her frustration over not working enough, which is another reason I probably should see it.

No comments: