Thursday, November 09, 2006

DIC!

If Fox has really made a "multimillion dollar pact" to distribute DIC animated titles, that can mean only one thing:

CARE BEARS.

The article explains something that had confused me: I'd been seeing a bunch of "Strawberry Shortcake" DVDs from Fox and wondering who the heck remembered Strawberry Shortcake (except people like me who remember every bad '80s cartoon). It turns out that DIC and Fox have revived the character -- in computer-animated form -- for a market I wouldn't have expected:


Fox's success with Strawberry Shortcake at Christian outlets particularly impressed DIC, and DIC hopes the studio can break its Madeline property into the Christian market as well.


To be honest, I never thought there was much religious content in Strawberry Shortcake, but what do I know? It's entirely possible that I was missing the religious undertones in Rainbow Brite, too. Seriously, though, with most "kids" cartoons today being far from wholesome -- good or bad -- it might make sense to reach back to some of those innocent '80s properties for parents who want to show their kids something less nudge-nudge-y than, say, Shrek.

Here's what those of us who grew up with the original Strawberry Shortcake had to go through:



Update: Thanks to a commenter for pointing out that I originally wrote "DC" instead of "DIC."


No comments: